Monday, May 30, 2011

Out of the Woods...

On Friday I had two doctor's appointments: 1 with my regular OB to tell her why I am switching to my perinatologist for the rest of the prenatal visits (don't want to deliver at south jersey regional or elmer) or the delivery.  I am very comfortable staying with Kennedy--the staff was wonderful, compassionate, and competent.  During the days leading up to the d & e, and the day of, the nurses were wonderful, as were everyone we came in contact with (registration, the people who push you through the halls, orderlies).  Plus Dr. Davis has been with me and my husband since approximately 12 hours after we learned of Robbie's demise.  The mixture of his realism, with compassion work for both of us.
Unfortunately at the appointment, my OB felt it necessary to tell me that while the baby looked perfect at the anatomy scan, it appeared that I have placenta previa.  Now, the doctors already reviewed the scans while we were at Kennedy last week, and they told us everything was perfect.  So I questioned her why they wouldn't have said anything then.  She then told me it was marginal placenta previa, which most drs don't consider a big deal, but in my case, she wants me on pelvic rest, and no lifting heavy objects.  Of course I couldn't wait to get out of there and see Dr. Davis and see what he had to say.  But that was 2 hrs away!
So I went home and consulted Dr. Google.  And also talked with the supportive women on TB.  By the time I went to see Dr. Davis, I was convinced I'd be on bedrest at some point during the summer.
But instead, Dr. Davis pulled me in to the ultrasound room to hear the heartbeat, and to show me where my placenta was.  While I have a low-lying placenta, there is plenty of room between the cervix and the placental edges.  So there is no worry.  And Rango wouldn't stay still for the doctor to get a heartbeat!
But the relief came when Dr. Davis told me there is no sign of hydrops anywhere!  When I was scheduling my next appointment, for 4 weeks, I told him that would be okay, because I had an ultrasound on June 9th, which would be 2 weeks, and that way we could check on the baby.  He gave me an odd look.  I explained that until we were out of the woods, I felt more comfortable being able to see the baby every two weeks to make sure nothing happened.  He then whispered to me "You're out of the woods.  Everything is fine."  I started to cry!  Because while he is a fantastic doctor, he had yet to tell me words that I want to hear (of course you'll have this baby, this pregnancy will be fine).  Instead I heard "Sometimes its a good pregnancy, sometimes its a bad pregnancy.  And there's nothing you can do either way to change it."  While it may seem harsh, it worked for us to hear.
So hearing the confidence in his voice made me feel a great weight has been lifted.
Since then Rango has been moving constantly, and I can feel him!  And while next Sunday marks the 21w1d mark, I am confident that Rango will be meeting us in October!

No comments:

Post a Comment